Jam Roly Poly is the ultimate comfort food- dense, doughy, jammy and covered in custard. The traditional British school dinner dessert is usually made with suet but we’ve swapped this for healthier coconut oil which goes amazingly well with the yummy raspberry Cham & desiccated coconut filling.
Don’t be put off from making this one- it may look a little fiddly but it really is fool proof…!
Serves 8. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- 300g gluten free self-raising flour (and a bit extra for rolling)
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 100g desiccated coconut
- 150g coconut oil (soft but not quite melted)
- 100ml full fat coconut milk
- 100ml Rebel ‘Whole Mylk’ (or just use another 100ml of coconut milk)
- Jar of raspberry Cham
- Pinch of salt
- Sift the flour into a bowl then add the pinch of salt and coconut sugar. Roughly combine then add the soft coconut oil, coconut milk and whole mylk. Combine with a metal spoon to create a dough.
- Flour your surface and use your hands to kneed the dough for a couple of minutes. Take a piece of greaseproof paper roughly the size of a baking tray. Transfer the dough to this and roll it out to into a rectangle.
- Spread out the Cham then sprinkle over three quarters of the desiccated coconut.
- Use the baking paper to help you create the roll. After you’ve rolled it up, squeeze the ends to stop the jam from escaping while it cooks. Sprinkle the rest of the dedicated coconut on top.
- Wrap the roll in the grease proof paper (nice and tight) and then double wrap it in foil, twisting the ends to make sure it is sealed.
- Put a rack/grill tray within a roasting tin and set the foil-wrapped Cham roll on this. Pour boiling water into the tin and make sure the water doesn’t touch the roll.
- Bake for 1 hour. Keep and eye on the water as it may need topping up whilst it cooks.
- Remove the layers of foil and baking paper from the roll- be careful- it will be hot!
- Serve in slices & enjoy hot! I love mine with Coconut Ice Cream or Custard (Bird’s powder is Vegan and goes great with some coconut milk…!)
Stir, scoop or spread…. how do you CHAM? Show us your creations on Twitter & Instagram (@EatChamUK) using the #WeChammin