When we first started making Cham we searched everywhere for a healthier version of a Bakewell Tart, without any luck.
But after much trial and error we finally nailed the perfect Bakewell Tart- free from gluten and totally vegan, you can’t even tell it doesn’t contain the original eggs, sugar, wheat and butter.
- 100g Ground Almonds
- 100g Oat Flour
- 50g Coconut Oil
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Powder
- Pinch Bicarbonate of Soda
- Pinch of Salt
- 10 generous tbsp of CHAM
- 4 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- Pinch Vanilla Powder
- 400ml Coconut Milk
- 180g of Ground almonds
- 3 tbsp Disaronno (or 1 tsp Almond Extract)
- Flaked Almonds (to decorate)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Combine the ground almonds, oat flour, vanilla powder, bicarb and salt.
- Melt the coconut oil. Add this and the maple syrup to the dry ingredients. Combine to make a dough.
- Put a ball of dough in each tart case (you may need to grease these with a little oil if they are not non-stick). Mould with your fingers to create a suitable case.
- Prick the bases with a fork and place in the oven for 5 minutes
- Remove and add the a layer of Cham in the base of each Tart.
- In a pan, melt the coconut oil for the filling, then add the coconut milk, ground almonds, maple syrup, vanilla and Disaronno (or Almond Extract). Heat until combined.
- Gently spoon this mixture into the tarts
- Bake again for for a further 10-15 minutes, until a dark golden brown on top
- Remove, allow to cool slightly & enjoy!
Tip: If you like your Bakewell Tart with custard, Bird’s custard powder is vegan… just combine with you’re favourite dairy alternative milk
Stir, scoop or spread…. how do you CHAM? Show us your creations on Twitter & Instagram (@EatChamUK) using the #WeChammin