Here at CHAM HQ, we get very excited for Easter because it means two things:
1) A mountain of easter egg chocolate appearing in the shops
2) The arrival of hot cross buns!
But if store bought hot cross buns make you feel more yuck than yum, try our yummy gluten free and vegan ones. We love ours with lashings of CHAM!
For the bun:
2 cups Ground Almonds
1 cup Buckwheat Flour or Oat Flour
2 teaspoons Cinnamon
2 teaspoons Ginger
Grating of Nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Powder
100ml Maple Syrup
1/2 cup Raisins
1/2 cup diced Apple (peeled)
Zest of 1 Orange & 1 Lemon
For the cross:
5 tablespoons full fat Coconut Milk
2 tablespoons Ground Almonds
2 tablespoons Flour (Oat or Buckwheat)
1 teaspoon Maple Syrup (or Agave)
Pinch of Vanilla Powder
For the glaze:
1 tablespoons Rice Malt Syrup
1 tablespoon hot water
1. Heat oven to 180 degrees and line a tray with greaseproof paper.
2. For the buns, mash the banana in a bowl and then add all the other ingredients. Mix until well combined. Roll into small balls and pop onto the lined tray.
3. Mix up the ingredients for the cross in a measuring jug. It should be runny, but still thick. If it’s too runny, then add a little more ground almonds. Pour in a cross shape onto the buns. (We suggest pouring one line across, then spinning the tray and pouring across for the other line!)
4. Bake for 20 mins. Enjoy hot or cold and smothered in CHAM!
Stir, scoop or spread…. how do you CHAM? Show us your creations on Twitter & Instagram (@EatChamUK) using the #WeChammin